Listen to this Post with Amazon Polly
Nothing quite screams a cup of coffee like some home-baked zucchini bread.
Here’s a recipe for a slightly healthier version of this heavenly stuff, with a delicious crumble topping that adds a nice sweet taste without a ton of sugar.
While the ingredients for this delicious dessert can be found year round in the grocery store, this recipe is at its peak in summer when zucchinis and blueberries are at their peak.
For a delicious, hearty breakfast, warm up or toast a slice of the bread and slather some almond, peanut, or walnut butter on it. You’ll be full until lunch.
Ingredients for the Zucchini bread:
Note that this recipe makes two loaves, so it’s perfect for a brunch party or for just saving yourself some time in the kitchen (you can always freeze one loaf).
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 TBS vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups regular flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (can substitute regular or almond flour if desired)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 TBS cinnamon
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or thawed frozen)
Ingredients for the crumble topping:
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 4 TBS flour
- 4 TBS sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2-4 TBS rolled oats (optional)
Directions to Deliciousness:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease 2 loaf pans.
- Beat together the butter and white and brown sugar. Once incorporated, add in the eggs, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix together. Add in the blueberries and gently mix with a spoon.
- Pour the batter into the two greased loaf pans.
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, flour, and cinnamon (Add in the rolled oats as well if you are using them).
- Use your hands to break apart the crumble mixture as you sprinkle it on top of the two filled loaf pans.
- Put the pans in the oven and bake for approximately 1 hr to 1 hr and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the loaves comes out clean.
- Freeze one loaf immediately, or eat it all in one sitting. Don’t say I didn’t warn ya 😉